Sunday, July 17, 2011

How do I improve my relationship with my Mom?

(before I start, let me say that im a tri-athlete, maintain a 4.1 GPA and have lots of friends and blessings) Okay, here it goes! I love my mom with all my heart. She is one of the, if no the most, influential people in my life. Unfortunately, her and I fight... alot. It hurts me so bad when we fight. (On a side note, she fights with my sister and my Dad alot) All to often, we fight over dumb things and it escalates into a horrible arguement. For example, today, my Mom asked me who I was going to Kennywood ( a theme park) with. Since not alot of my friends are going this year, I responded by saying i dont know. She then preceeded to ask me if I would walk around with my friends Ryan and Zack and Brodie. I told her that I would not because they all have girlfriends and they are going to be hanging out with them all day and to be a good friend, i would not intrude on their "love" and not mak ethem feel obligated to talk to the third wheel. She assumed I was angry at one of them and continued to question my answer as to why I would not walk with them. Admittingly, I became annoyed and most likely responded how every teen responds when someone is annoyed. She responded by screaming, "Well that is dumb. Whatever do not even go. You do not have any friends. Nobody likes you (or something along those lines)." I have a friends and am a popular kid in my school, so I got offended and responded by saying "I had more friends than you." She said "Tell me that again." So I did and she approached me and started to yell GO TO BED. A**Hole. It may not sound bad on here but it was rather intense. I did a bad thing and said you are a crazy b**ch. I feel really bad about that and eventually apologized. My apology was a heartfelt apology where I conveyed my feelings of always having to livee up to a standard for her. Asking why she can't accept my decisions. I then acknowledged my wrong-doings and stated things such as, I just got so angry, I did not mean anything I said. It's just all I know how to do because when we argue, all you ever do is scream and deride me (She actually once through me out of the house) (Wished I were not around) (Said she does not care about living). She does and says all things mothers do to their kids when arduing. But it reall is starting to wear away at me. I then offerred a way to rekindle our relationship by working each day to say something nice about each other and sit down and talk about our problems like civilized people rather than argue and have her sometimes strike me (Although it is not hard and does not hurt but its the reason). I said that I want her in my life to see me grow up and succeed ( I aspire to become a doctor and attend Kent State in the fall) and be able to say that my mom was the cornerstone for my success but that i would not put up with the verbal or physical assaults from this point on." She respponded by telling me that "'ll one day get what I deserve (but I actually meant my apology and it is tearing me up inside to see someone i love so much... reject me) and that I can cocsider her dead to me (or soemthing like that)." She rejected my option on how to reform our relationship and said that i need to quit all my athletics and get a job to pay for my cell phone and college. That may not seem so horrible, but it is in the context. She would not even acknowledge that SHE also did something wrong AS WELL AS I. Admittingly, I know i take her for granted (all teens do) but I honestly feel like I do nothing to start arguements like these. I try to be the better person but she somehow throws it all in my face. I dont Know what is left to do. I've fought with her long enough, we've been through it all, arguing, having her throw things, strike me (as stated above) and even had myself offer a civilized discussion. Nothign seems to work. I do not want to involve authorities because that will crush our relatonship (or whats left of it). I love her so much and I jsut wanna be functional. Both of us are wrong but why is it that im the only one who acknowledges my wrong-doings? Any help?

No comments:

Post a Comment